SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for Charlotte's Web. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
This 158-page Literature Guide for teaching Charlotte's Web has been written to focus on time-tested best practices for teaching, and is aligned to the Common Core State Standards, the NCTE/IRA English Language Arts Standards, and the Texas TEKS for grades 3 and 4.
This Charlotte's Web Literature Guide has the rigor you are looking for, while helping your students enjoy the story itself. Your students will walk away with a love, enjoyment, and understanding of the literature and a grasp of the skills required for state and national testing. If you're serious about teaching your students Common Core, then this is the Guide for you!
Here's what Simple Pleasures said: For the last 2 years, my co-teacher and I went through Charlotte's Web using a hodge-podge of different activities and things we either found for free online or made ourselves. However, it was always rather stressful and didn't feel fluid or complete. This literature guide is perfect! Unlike many resources, it has more than enough activities for a thorough and meaningful study of the novel. If you are teaching Charlotte's Web this year, the $25 is more than worth it! I was blown away and I know my students will grow so much with the fun yet rigorous activities.
This complete Charlotte's Web Guide for Grades 3-4 includes (specific Common Core standards addressed are in parentheses):
- Pre-Reading Activities and Ideas
- Informational Focus: Spiders (RI.3.1, RI.3.4; RI.4.1, RI.4.3, RI.4.4)
- Anticipation/Reaction Guide
- Author Biography: E. B. White (RI.3.1, RI.3.4; RI.4.1, RI.4.3, RI.4.4)
- 2 Vocabulary Lists - one with, and one without definitions
- Glossary of Unique Terminology and "words to know" from the book
- Note-Taking Graphic Organizer
- Chapter Questions for each set of Chapters (RL.3.1, RL.3.3, RL.3.5; RL.4.1, RL.4.3)
- Common Core Aligned Language Focus activities focused on:
- Capitalization (L.3.2, L.3.2a; L.4.2, L.4.2a)
- Commas (L.3.2, L.3.2b, L.3.2c; L.4.2, L.4.2b, L.4.2c)
- Direct Speech and Quotation Marks (L.3.2, L.3.2c; L.4.2, L.4.2b)
- Complete Sentences (L.3.1, L.3.1a, L.3.1f, L.3.1i; L.4.1, L.4.1f)
- Homophones (L.4.1g)
- Prefixes (L.3.4b: L.4.4b)
- Similes and Metaphors (L.3.5a; L.4.5a)
Kimberly W. said: This unit is amazing... I second guessed myself and bought a different one first that was cheaper. Mistake! Though the other one was fine, it didn't have enough differentiation to reach both my highest and lowest... this unit is perfect... you won't have to add a thing! Go ahead and spend the $25. It's worth it!
Specific, Common Core Aligned Literature Focus lessons:
- Using Details from the Story (RL.3.1, RL.3.2, RL.3.3; RL.4.1, RL.4.2, RL.4.3)
- Setting (RL.3.1; RL.4.1, RL.4.3)
- Character Traits (RL.3.1, RL.3.3; RL.4.1, RL.4.3)
- Finding Similarities and Differences (RL.3.3, RL.3.6; RL.4.3)
- Inference and Explicit Information (RL.3.1; RL.4.1)
- Themes (RL.3.2, RL.4.2)
- Character Analysis (W.3.5, W.3.8; W.4.5, W.4.9, W.4.9a)
- Character Development (RL.3.3, RL.3.5; RL.4.3)
Common Core Aligned Writing Focus Activities on:
- Sensory Details (W.3.3b, W.3.4; W.4.3d, W.4.4)
- Supporting Your Opinion (W.3.1, W.3.1a, W.3.1b, W.3.1c; W.4.1, W.4.1a, W.4.1b, W.4.1c)
- Cartoon Narratives (W.3.8)
- Organizing Your Writing (W.3.5, W.4.5)
- Powerful Words (L.4.2d, W.4.3b)
- Technology Focus: Character Traits Word Cloud (W.3.6; W.4.6)
- Reading Comprehension Quizzes
- Vocabulary Quizzes
- Two Final Tests - one entirely multiple choice
- Final Vocabulary Test
- Post-Reading Extension Ideas and Activities
- Culminating Writing Ideas and Activities
- Teacher Guide, including
- Notes for the Teacher
- Sample Agenda
- Chapter Summaries
- Answer Key
- List of Resources
- Common Core Alignment Documentation for Grades 3 and 4
Shanique J. said: This is an incredible bundle for Charlotte's Web! I am currently reading with my 4th graders. This unit allows me to both challenge my students and have assignments on their level.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.