SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as useful for Distance Learning as this bundle is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for Macbeth. This bundle has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation (or detailed teaching) from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF and separated Student Materials from Teacher Materials so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
Macbeth Literature Guide includes 145 pages of practical, ready-to-use worksheets and activities for teaching this thrilling classic in grades 10-12. This complete Macbeth unit includes comprehensive study of the play, and covers many standards through in-depth reading and analysis of the play. Leaves students with a true appreciation for the themes of the play, as well as a grasp of the many skills this guide addresses.
Here's what Rachel Pitts said: In all of my years as an English student, none of my teachers were able to give me this level of understanding for Shakespeare. After reading just the first 20 or so pages, I feel equipped, prepared and more confident to teach my students. The background information is fantastic and eye opening. This resource is probably the best $23 I have ever spent! :)
Teaching with Simply Novel's Macbeth complete unit gives the rigor you are looking for, while helping your students enjoy the play itself. Your students will gain an enjoyment and understanding of the literature and a grasp of the skills required for state and national testing. You can be confident you're addressing the skills your students need to learn, and you'll love having more time on your hands not having to create lessons and materials yourself.
Judy H. said: This is an excellent package to study Macbeth. The scene guides are incredibly helpful for my students because we can immediately discuss the reading together while filling in the scene guided as a large group. Then, students have their own "guide" to help them with their individual comprehension questions. The literary devices addressed in this unit are presented in a way that students are still learning about the text, not just basic information. This unit offers more than enough activities...by far one of my best purchases on TPT! Can you create one just like this for Othello??!! Thanks
This complete unit for Macbeth includes:
- One-page handout of the Elements of Drama
- Two-page handout on Literary Elements
- List of Pre-Reading Ideas and Projects (numerous standards addressed)
- Anticipation Guide Pre-Reading Activity examining the themes before reading (numerous standards addressed)
- Biography on Shakespeare, including Comprehension Check questions (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2, RI.11-12.3)
- Activity on Working with Shakespeare's Language (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; RL.11-11.4, L.11-12.6)
- Handout on Appreciating Shakespeare's Language (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; RL.11-11.4, L.11-12.6)
- Historical Context article and comprehension questions on Theater in Shakespeare's Day (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2, RI.11-12.3)
- Informational Article and comprehension questions on Ghosts and Superstition (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2, RI.11-12.3)
- Informational article on the story of the "Real" Macbeth and Duncan (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2, RI.11-12.3)
- Historical Context article on the Gunpowder Plot of 1605 (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2, RI.11-12.3)
- Map of 11th Century Scotland
- Handout and Activity on the Sonnet and Sonnet Format
- Quiz on Sonnet Form
- List of Journal Topics/Discussion Prompts (W.9-10.4, W.9-10.10; W.11-12.4, W.11-12.10)
- Glossary of Allusions, Terminology, and Expressions (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; RL.11-11.4, L.11-12.6)
- Vocabulary List with and without definitions (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; RL.11-11.4, L.11-12.6)
- Note-Taking Scene Guide for active reading (W.9-10.4, W.9-10.10; W.11-12.4, W.11-12.10)
- Scene-by-scene Comprehension Check/Study Guide questions (numerous standards addressed)
- Reading: Literature standards-based activities, designed to focus on:
- Dialogue, Monologue, and Asides (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.3; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.4)
- Mood (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.3, RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.4, RL.11-12.5
- Figurative Language (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.5; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.5)
- Plot and Conflict (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.2, L.9-10.5; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.2, L.11-12.5)
- Irony (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.2, L.9-10.5; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.2, L.11-12.5)
- Characterization (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.2, L.9-10.5; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.2, L.11-12.5)
- Character Analysis (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.2, L.9-10.5; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.2, L.11-12.5)
- Motif (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.2, L.9-10.5; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.2, L.11-12.5)
- Tragedy and the Tragic Hero (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.2, L.9-10.5; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.2, L.11-12.5)
- Theme (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.2, L.9-10.5; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.2, L.11-12.5)
- Language standards-based Vocabulary activities, each focused on a particular standard and skill, including:
- Context Clues (L.9-10.4.A; L.11-12.4.A)
- Word Usage (L.9-10.4.A; L.11-12.4.A)
- Vocabulary Builders (L.9-10.4.A; L.11-12.4.A)
- Vocabulary Extension (L.9-10.4.A; L.11-12.4.A)
- Vocabulary in Context (L.9-10.5, L.9-10.5.B; L.11-12.5, L.11-12.5.B)
- Reading Quizzes for each Act
- Vocabulary Quizzes for each Act
- Just for Fun review Crossword
- Two Final Tests - one entirely Multiple Choice
- Post-Reading Ideas and Projects List
- Essay and Creative Writing Prompts
- Vocabulary with Definitions
- Teacher's Guide, including
- Sample Agenda
- Summary of the Play
- Project and Writing Rubrics
- Complete Answer Key
Erin E. said: Love this packet! Very comprehensive and lots of options for what to include or leave out in the lesson. My students are really enjoying the activities/deeper thinking questions that go along with each Act of Macbeth.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.