A Midsummer Nights Dream Complete Unit - No Prep Handouts, Tests & More; Designed to help even the most reluctant students of the Bard, this Common Core Standards-Based Literature Guide for A Midsummer Night's Dream features 92 pages of student coursework, quizzes, tests, and teacher guides aligned with 8th through 10th grade English / Language Arts content standards, and is sure to have everything you need to teach the content standards and an enjoyment of the literature.
Here's what Zoe K. said: This resource has saved me hours of preparation. I've never taught AMSND before, so of course I purchased this! Comes with an introduction to Shakespeare, the Globe, the history, vocab, quizzes, tests, and answer key! My students completed graphic organizers and the questions - the questions are mostly just comprehension, so if your kiddos are ridiculously thorough like mine on their graphic organizers, then they will have already answered most the questions. These questions really help to ensure that the students understand - great prompts. The vocabulary is quite difficult and was a wonderful challenge. The only two things I added were a visual character organizer on my white board (I printed photos for each character, and had my students draw lines to indicate relationships) and quote identification on the test. We also talked quite a lot about themes. Thanks so much for this.
This A Midsummer Night's Dream Literature Guide includes:
- Notes and Activity on the Elements of Drama and Fiction
- Author Biography and comprehension check questions on Shakespeare (RI.8.1, RI.8.2, RI.8.3; RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3)
- Anticipation/Reaction Pre-Reading Activity
- Historical Context Article and comprehension questions on Shakespeare's Theatre (RI.8.1, RI.8.2, RI.8.3; RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3)
- Historical Context Article and comprehension questions on Understanding Shakespeare's Language (RI.8.1, RI.8.2, RI.8.3; RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3)
- Vocabulary List With and Without Definitions (RL.8.4, L.8.4; RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.6)
- Note-Taking Scene Guides and Comprehension Check (W.8.4, W.8.10; W.9-10.4, W.9-10.10)
- Comprehension Check Questions for each Scene (numerous standards addressed)
- Reading: Literature Standards Focused Activities with specific skill development on
- Development of Drama (RL.8.1, RL.8.2, RL.8.5; RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2, RL.9-10.5)
- Figures of Speech (RL.8.4, L.8.5; RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.5)
- Dynamic and Static Characters (RL.8.1, RL.2, RL.8.3; RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.3)
- Plot and Theme (RL.8.1, RL.8.2, RL.8.5; RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2, RL.9-10.5)
- Language - Vocabulary Activities working with
- Vocabulary Development (L.8.4; L.9-10.4)
- Word Parts (L.8.4.B, L.8.4.C, L.8.4.D; L.9-10.4.B, L.9-10.4.C, L.9-10.4.D)
- Vocabulary in Context (L.8.4.A; L.9-10.4.A)
- Analogies (L.8.5, L.8.5.A; L.9-10.5, L.9-10.5.A)
- Reading Comprehension Quizzes for Every Act
- Vocabulary Quizzes for each Act
- Two Final Test Versions - one entirely multiple choice for easy grading
- Summary of the Play
- Pre-Reading Project and Writing Ideas and Prompts
- Post-Reading and Alternative Assessment Project Ideas
- Essay and Creative Writing Ideas and Prompts
- Two Project Rubrics for assessing Pre- and Post-Reading projects
- Response to Literature Rubric
- Complete Answer Key
Jennifer Abbott said: Totally awesome! Loved it! I had never taught Midsummer before, and this was truly a great resource. I can't say enough, really. The introductory materials were inspiring and thorough, the vocabulary lists and activities were great, and the standards-based activities for each Act were insightful and fun. I also loved the Scene by Scene graphic organizers to keep track of characters and plot. Such a great resource!
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.