SPECIAL NOTE for DISTANCE LEARNING : I have marked this product as appropriate for Distance Learning as this guide is an entire "ready-to-use," complete unit of study for 1984. This guide has everything from pre-reading activities to post-reading assessment tools, and everything in-between.
Our products are designed to require as much or as little teacher instruction or intervention as you desire. Lessons and activities are clear, and provide students with full explanation on how to complete activities (giving examples and providing mini-lessons whenever possible), requiring little to no explanation or detailed instruction from the teacher. In many cases, students will be able to self-direct their study and completion of work according to your requirements. Additionally, I have unlocked the PDF so that those who need to use parts of this Guide in Google Classroom can modify it for their needs.
PLEASE NOTE: This material is still copyright protected, and it is a violation to sell or post these materials in any publicly accessible site. You may, however post what you need for your students on a secure school site or similar, where the general public cannot access these materials. THANK YOU!
This 1984 by George Orwell Teaching Guide includes over 200 pages of Common Core and NCTE/IRA Standards-Based, practical, and ready-to-use lessons for 9th through 12th grade. Everything you need in a unit plan is in this Guide! MORE than enough to choose from in this comprehensive unit, depending upon your desired learning outcomes and the amount of time you have to spend teaching 1984!
Here's what Acacia Morrell said: So many activities there is no way I can even use them all. Great unit that covers, vocabulary, themes, literary devices, reading comprehension, word roots, characterization, and more. Definitely worth the money. Making each of these activities on my own would have taken days.
Teaching with Simply Novel's 1984 complete unit brings the rigor you are looking for, while helping your students enjoy the story itself. Your students will gain an enjoyment and understanding of the literature and a grasp of the skills required for state and national testing. You can be confident you're addressing the skills your students need to learn, and you'll love having more time on your hands not having to create lessons and materials yourself!
This 1984 Literature Guide includes:
- List of CCSS-Based Pre-Reading Activities and Ideas (numerous standards addressed)
Reading: Informational Text Articles and Questions:
- Author Biography and Questions on George Orwell (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2, RI.11-12.3)
- Genres of Fantasy, Science Fiction, and Dystopia (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2, RI.11-12.3)
- Informational/Historical Context notes and Questions on Propaganda and Censorship (RI.9-10.1, RI.9-10.2, RI.9-10.3; RI.11-12.1, RI.11-12.2, RI.11-12.3)
- Complete list of Allusions and Terminology, defined (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.9, L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.4, L.11-12.6)
- Vocabulary lists with and without definitions (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.9, L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.4, L.11-12.6)
- Anticipation/Reaction Activity to introduce themes and activate prior knowledge (SL.9-10.1, SL.9-10.3, SL.9-10.6; SL.11-12.1, SL.11-12.3, SL.11-12.4, SL.11-12.6)
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Charts for each set of two chapters (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2, W.9-10.4; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, W.11-12.9)
- Comprehension and Analysis Study Guide questions for each set of two chapters (numerous standards addressed)
- Specific CCSS Reading: Literature activities every two chapters including lessons and activities on:
- Authors Purpose (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.5)
- Social and Historical Influences (RL.9-10.3, RL.9-10.9; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, RL.11-12.9)
- Themes of Mind Control and Psychological Manipulation (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2, RL.9-10.9; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, RL.11-12.3)
- Symbolism (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.5; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.4)
- Imagery (RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.6: RL11-12.1, RL.11-12.4, RL.11-12.5)
- Characterization (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.3< RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3)
- Political Approach (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2, RI.9-10.8, W.9-10.7, W.9-10.8 W.9-10.9; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.2, RL.11-12.8)
- Mood (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.3, L.9-10.6; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.4)
- Comparing Literary Works (RL.9-10.2, RL.9-10.9, W.9-10.7, W.9-10.8, W.9-10.9; RL.11-12.2, RL.11-12.9, W.11-12.7)
- Literary Archetypes (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.3, RL.9-10.9; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3, RL.11-12.9)
- Character Development (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.3; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3)
- Analyzing Quotations (RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.3; RL.11-12.1, RL.11-12.3)
- Specific Language or Writing Lessons/Activities every two chapters with focus on:
- Word Origins (L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.3, L.11-12.4, L.11-12.5)
- Spelling, Punctuation, and Capitalization (L.9-10.1, L.9-10.2; L.11-12.1, L.11-12.2)
- Vocabulary in Context (RL.9-10.4, L.9-10.3, L.9-10.4, L.9-10.5; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.3, L.11-12.4)
- Sentence Structure (W.9-10.4, W.9-10.10, L.9-10.2, L.9-10.3; W.11-12.4, W.11-12.5)
- Precise Word Choice (RL.9-10.4, W.9-10.4, L.9-10.1, L.9-10.2, L.9-10.4; RL.11-12.4, L.11-12.3, L.11-12.5)
- Modifying Nouns and Pronouns (L.9-10.1, L.9-10.3; L.11-12.1, L.11-12.2)
- Analogies (L.9-10.4, L.9-10.5, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.4, L.11-12.5, L.11-12.6)
- Verbs and Verbals (L.9-10.1, L.9-10.3; L.11-12.1, L.11-12.3)
- Complements (W.9-10.4, W.9-10.5, L.9-10.1, L.9-10.3; W.11-12.4, W.11-12.5, L.11-12.1, L.11-12.3)
- Word Roots (L.9-10.3, L.9-10.4, L.9-10.6; L.11-12.3, L.11-12.4)
- Vocabulary Quick Reviews for extra credit or early finishers
- Reading/Comprehension Quizzes for every two-three chapters
- Vocabulary Quizzes every four chapters
- Three Final Tests, including one entirely Multiple Choice test
- Sample Agenda and Teacher Notes
- Essay: Why I Write by George Orwell
- Summary of the Novel
- CCSS-Based Post-Reading and Alternative Assessment Ideas and Activities (numerous standards addressed)
- Two Project Rubrics
- Response to Literature Rubric
- Complete Answer Key
Amanda L. said: This was such a time-saver. I was able to choose activities for my students to analyze characters, themes, plot, and so much more. Thank you for an excellent resource.
Please note that this product is available as a PDF download only.